Rethink Your Home Lighting
New lighting can set the fall mood, save you money and greet guests. Refresh and brighten your home with these creative lighting tips.
Layer the Light
Feature a few different lighting options in every room — this gives you flexibility to change the look of a room depending on the time of day or occasion.
- Include a traditional lamp, ceiling fixture and another form of accent lighting in every room.
- Colored lampshades easily add cool or warm tones. Shop for lampshades that coordinate with your existing furniture and window coverings.
- Use direction creatively. Aim lighting upward to create the illusion of higher ceilings.
- Use a tall lamp with multiple shades to illuminate a dim corner. Multicolored shades add dimension and warmth.
- Control the mood — install at least one dimmer switch in every room. Dimming light fixtures give off gentle, ambient light.
Use Energy Wisely
As you prepare your home for the changing season, ensure you’re using energy-efficient lighting.
- Every time a bulb runs out, replace it with an energy-efficient fluorescent light bulb.
- Use the minimum wattage needed.
- Don’t overdo it. During the day, take advantage of natural light. At night, only turn on the ones you need.
- Remind your family to turn off lights before leaving the house.
- Use motion detectors on outdoor flood lighting. Look for solar-powered lighting for your deck, garden and yard.
Illuminate Your Guests
Plan for holidays and visitors by keeping your lighting easy-to-use and ambient.
- Light switches should be easy to reach in dark rooms and entrances.
- Use nightlights in all bathrooms. Look for attractive nightlights with motion sensors.
- Place reading lamps on the night stands in your guest bedroom and near your armchairs or couch.
- Use cabinet lighting, recessed lighting and decorative string lights to set the mood for holiday gatherings.
Decorate With Light
Accent lighting instantly transforms dull living spaces.
- Instead of using candles, place small decorative lamps on your bookshelves and in glass cabinets.
- Use lighting in unexpected ways. Try a brightly colored lamp in your kitchen for an inviting evening glow.
- Install cabinet lights — they’ll highlight your favorite figurines and keepsakes.
- Place an ornamental fixture in your bedroom for a touch of romance.
- Shop for a dramatic, eye-catching lamp to brighten up your living room decor.
Important Walmart Disclaimer: All content, including but not limited to, recipe and
health information provided in In Stores Now, is for educational purposes only. Such content is
intended to supplement, not substitute for, the diagnosis, treatment and advice of a medical professional.
Such content does not cover all possible side effects of any new or different health program.
Consult your medical professional for guidance before changing or undertaking a new diet or exercise program.
Advance consultation with your physician is particularly important if you are under eighteen (18) years old,
pregnant, nursing, or have health problems.
If you have dietary restrictions and/or allergies, always read the ingredient list carefully for all food
products prior to consumption. Allergens and their derivatives can have various names and may be present
in some food brands but not others. If the ingredient list is not available on the food product, check
with the food manufacturer, or do not consume the product. If you have a food allergy, speak to your
physician and/or a registered dietitian for a comprehensive list of foods and their derivatives to avoid
prior to using any recipe from Walmart.com. Neither the author nor Walmart.com assumes any responsibility
for errors, omissions or contrary interpretation of the subject matter herein.
Product information is provided by the supplier or manufacturer of the product and should not be construed as
advice. Walmart does not sponsor, recommend or endorse any third party, product, service or information
provided on this site.