Health-conscious shoppers have a wide variety of over-the-counter medicines, supplements and accessories that can help in the quest to live a more heart-healthy lifestyle. We've broken them down into this easy list.
There are plenty of heart disease prevention options, starting with everyday maintenance for your body, such as:
- Omega-3 products (the Food and Drug Administration says omega-3 fatty acids may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease; in varying quantities you can get your omega-3 fats in fish, fish oil supplements, foods containing flax seeds, walnuts and certain eggs)
- Fiber-filled foods or supplements
- Butter substitutes
- Calcium products including low-fat milk, yogurt or supplements
- Smoking cessation products (patches, gum)
Reducing the amount of stress in your life can help your heart. You may want to consider these products:
- Light exercise equipment such as hand weights, jump rope and running shoes
- Relaxation products such as yoga DVDs, aromatherapy and positive thinking books
If You Have Been Diagnosed With Heart Issues
In cases where your doctor approves, those with a heart condition may consider purchasing:
- Low-dose aspirin
- Vitamin E
- Salt substitutes or low-sodium “salt” products
- Sugar substitutes such as Splenda or agave nectar
- Meat alternatives and protein supplements
Heart Monitoring Devices
Depending on your condition, you may need to pay close attention to your blood pressure, cholesterol or even blood sugar levels. Options for “over-the-counter” home health monitoring purchases include:
- Aneroid blood pressure monitors — the traditional “cuff and gauge” blood pressure monitor used in doctors' offices and seen on TV
- Digital blood pressure monitors combine the gauge and a stethoscope into one unit but still use a cuff; these units may include automatic deflation of the cuff when the reading is finished
- Medical alert chains or necklaces in case of emergencies transmit a call for help to a response center when the button is pushed
- In-home cholesterol testers
- Blood sugar testing kits
Before using any home testing kit, it’s important to ask your doctor for specific information about your needs. Blood pressure, cholesterol counts, blood sugar counts and other readings are not standardized; every person is different, so you should ask your doctor what to look for in your home healthcare device readings and how to properly interpret the readings you receive from your equipment. No two people have the same body chemistry; your results are unique to you and only your doctor should tell you how to proceed based on what you find. Always read the instructions carefully and go over your home health monitoring kit with your doctor first.
Important Walmart Disclaimer: All content, including but not limited to, recipe and
health information provided in In Stores Now, is for educational purposes only. Such content is
intended to supplement, not substitute for, the diagnosis, treatment and advice of a medical professional.
Such content does not cover all possible side effects of any new or different health program.
Consult your medical professional for guidance before changing or undertaking a new diet or exercise program.
Advance consultation with your physician is particularly important if you are under eighteen (18) years old,
pregnant, nursing, or have health problems.
If you have dietary restrictions and/or allergies, always read the ingredient list carefully for all food
products prior to consumption. Allergens and their derivatives can have various names and may be present
in some food brands but not others. If the ingredient list is not available on the food product, check
with the food manufacturer, or do not consume the product. If you have a food allergy, speak to your
physician and/or a registered dietitian for a comprehensive list of foods and their derivatives to avoid
prior to using any recipe from Walmart.com. Neither the author nor Walmart.com assumes any responsibility
for errors, omissions or contrary interpretation of the subject matter herein.
Product information is provided by the supplier or manufacturer of the product and should not be construed as
advice. Walmart does not sponsor, recommend or endorse any third party, product, service or information
provided on this site.